Sharing info on typical allergies – food intolerances
Some people are allergic to certain foods. If they eat them, their immune system responds in a specific way that can cause mild discomfort or be life-threatening. Many people are intolerant of certain foods. They can experience unpleasant similar symptoms to an allergy but are often able to eat small amounts of the food concerned without having an extreme reaction.
The most common food allergies and intolerances are to gluten, eggs, nuts and seeds, milk and soya.
- Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley & certain proteins in oats.
- Processed foods
Try these alternatives: corn, millet, rice, quinoa & buckwheat.
- Most common in babies but most children grow out of it.
Nuts and Seeds
- Mostly peanuts/monkey nuts, brazils, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans.
- Some also allergic to sesame seeds(tahini).
- Lactose intolerance is a reaction to the sugar in milk, usually affecting older children and adults.
- Milk allergy is more common in children, but most children outgrow it by the age of three.
Try these alternatives: fortified soya milk, soya yoghurts and vegan cheese.
- Tofu and soya milk are made from soybeans.
Try these alternatives: fermented soya like tempeh, shoyu and miso.
For more on any health issues feel free to call us @ 086 010 3859 or view our website at www.imsyser.co.za. You are now also able to view Imsyer on youtube.