More sharing on Essential uses of Essential Oils and Cleaning in the home environment…
“Many essential oils have the ability to inhibit and even kill various types of bacteria, mould, spores, and even viruses. These disinfectant properties make them a great alternative for harsh chemicals that are used in most commercial cleaners. You can click here and see the top 11 cleaning products I recommend that you AVOID!
Studies are being done on the effectiveness of OnGuard, doTERRA proprietary “protective” blend, that combines Wild Orange essential oil, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary, and its ability to eliminate MRSA and even the influenza virus!
Essential Oils Recommended for Cleaning:
- Disinfecting Oils: OnGuard, lemon, Purify, melaleuca (tea tree oil), lime, cinnamon, thyme, and peppermint.
- Deodorizing Oils: Purify, peppermint, clary sage, melaleuca, lavender, geranium, and eucalyptus.
- Bathroom Cleaning Tips:
- Mould: Diffuse OnGuard into the air to help eliminate mould. No work involved!
- Mirror Cleaner: Place 1-2 drops of a disinfecting oil (listed above…try lemon!) with 1 tsp. of white vinegar in a 1 oz. bottle with water. Shake well, and spray on mirrors. Use a dry rag, or even newspapers, to wipe off.
- Mildew Spray: Mix 5 drops of lemon and 5 drops of white fir with 2 oz. water in a small spray bottle Spray on areas with mildew
- Deodorizing Spray: Place 5-8 droops of a deodorizing essential oil (listed above) in a 1oz. spray bottle, and fill the remainder of the bottle with water. Shake well, and spray into the air.
- TIP: I save old Braggs apple cider vinegar glass bottles to make my cleaning products with. I screw on old spray tops from other cleaning bottles.
- Kitchen Cleaning Tips:
- Disinfecting Spray: to make a disinfecting spray, mix 5-8 drops of a disinfecting oil and blend with 1oz. of water in a spray bottle. Shake, spray on counters, cutting boards, refrigerator, garbage, microwave, and other surfaces.
- Counter Cleaning: Add 1-2 drops of lemon, OnGuard, or another disinfecting oil to a damp rag, and wipe down counters, tables and stoves.
- Dishes: Add a few drops of lemon to dishwater for sparkling dishes. You can, also, add lemon to your dishwasher as well.
- Trash Can Deodorizer: Add 3-5 drops of a deodorizing essential oil to 1 TB of baking soda and mix well. Sprinkle into the bottle of the trashcan!
- Laundry Tips:
- Washing: I make my own laundry detergent that cost $0.02 cents a load! If you don’t want to make your own detergent, you can add a few drops of Purify into the wash water to help kill any germs and bacteria on the clothes.
- Gum/Grease: Use lemon or Citrus Bliss to help get gum or grease off clothes.
- Drying: Put Purify, Elevation, lemongrass, or another favourite oil or blend on a wet rag and toss it in the dryer!
Polish: put a few drops of lemon, Purify, or white fir on a dust cloth and wipe down wood for a simple furniture polish.
Floors and Carpet:
Multi-Purpose Floor Cleaner: Place 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 TB of dish soap or castile soap, 15 drops of a disinfecting essential oil (listed at top) into a bucket of water. Mix and use to clean tile, hardwood, linoleum, ceramic, laminate and vinyl.
Carpet Cleaner/Deodorizer: Mix 1 cup of baking soda and 20-50 drops of melaleuca, lemon, Purify, or another favourite oil in a glass jar. Close and shake the jar and let it stand overnight. Sprinkle lightly over carpets, let sit for 15 minutes and then vacuum.
Bug/Pest Repellent Tips:
Bug Repelling Oils: TerraShield, lavender, lemongrass, patchouli, basil, Purify
Mice Repelling Oils: Purify
Personal Bug Repellent: Apply repelling oils directly onto skin (dilute with a carrier oil if you are covering a large area)
Bug Spray: add 10-15 drops of repelling oil to 1oz. water in a small misting spray bottle. Shake and mist all over exposed skin and clothing.
Diffusion: Diffuse repelling oils in a room.
Pest Repellent: Place repelling oils on a string, ribbon, or cotton ball and hang near air vents or windows. You can, also, place them where bugs or pests are coming through.