Your digestive tract is the most important body component determining health and disease? Poor digestion and specifically a low stomach acid production may be an important factor in ageing.
Digestion, assimilation and absorption of food are very important to ensure that your body gets enough of the essential micro- and macro-nutrients. Poor digestion contributes to poor assimilation and absorption and can lead to many chronic health problems and early aging. Poor digestion is at the root of most chronic health issues and that a strong digestive system is key for optimum health and longevity.
The health of the digestive system is also dependent on the production of optimal amounts of stomach acid “hydrochloric acid” or HCL. HCL is a key factor for digestion of proteins and fats, the absorption of minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium zinc as well as vitamin B12. HCL production is the stimulus to pancreatic secretions containing the majority of enzymes that actively breakdown foods.
When we eat more frequently than required, over consume proteins and fats or eat too much junk food, the stomach acid secretion begins to decrease. Long term chronic stress also contributes to decreased stomach acid which weakens digestion. As we age our HCL production and digestive enzymes also decrease.
- Decreased HCL production may lead to poor digestion with symptoms such as bloating, gas and discomfort after rich meals.
- Low HCL production can be also associated by many other health problems such as iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis, diabetes, eczema, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and periodontal disease.
- It was found that more than half the people with gall stones show decreased HCL secretion compared with gall stone-free patients.
- Poor breakdown of foods can also predispose to gut inflammation and leaky gut syndrome which predispose to general allergies and food allergies.
- With low stomach acid there can be an increase in bacteria, yeast and parasites growing in the intestines. This can contribute to lowered immunity and toxicity in the body.
Low stomach acid can be corrected in most people by eating a balanced diet, reducing daily stress and good nutrient supplementation. Herbs such as rosemary, ginger and cumin can also be helpful for such conditions.
Regular gut detox treatments are advised with the Imsyser Health Product range to ensure healthy gut functioning. View our product range at www.imsyser.co.za for more.