The Imsyser team would like to share the works of a well-known doctor (as below) on preventing one of the scariest ‘potentials’ for all of us, even if you aren’t old enough yet to worrying about brain health. Alzheimer’s is preventable as is Dementia. You are what you eat!! Once again the same Truth. Please google Dr David’s health article on ‘brain health’. But in principle, the rules are the same:
- CUT OUT SUGARS COMPLETELY. Don’t procrastinate and start slowly decreasing ; just cut them OUT!! These include the hidden sugars in most of your unhealthy carbohydrates. These are the main inflammatory triggers and all disease starts as a result of inflammation. The same for the brain. You should want to look after this most important organ best of all after all!! Sugar INCREASES the risk for Dementia and Alzheimer’s!!
- Check labels for those hidden sugars, salts, colorants and preservatives; these ARE those INFLAMMATORY triggers I just mentioned. GO NATURAL. Once again ‘ you are what you eat’!! watch out for those hidden oestrogens and antibiotics in most dairies and meats. And let’s not forget about the GM foods found in your average wheat products!
- The brain is a large ‘fatty organ’ so feed it the GOOD FATS it needs. Not the ‘baddies’ but your healthy fat supplies from avocadoes, coconut oil, olive oil, fatty deep sea fish, organic grass fed beef, nuts, seeds and free range eggs. There are so many lists to choose from ; why not choose the correct list and make sure you do not become 1 of the statistics. Your DNA can be changed with good dietary choices – your DNA rests in your brain.
- Exercise – why would a healthy oxygen supply be good for the rest of the body and not the brain? Food for thought!! Exercise increase growth hormones and improves neuron connections in the brain which in turn fine proofs our DNA structuring.
- Make sure you get enough sunlight for your daily vitamin D supply and rest/ sleep enough. All good routines to help improve brain functioning daily.
- Probiotics ( and Prebiotics) the new buzz word is such for the value it brings to the table in basic prevention and of course optimal healthy mechanisms not only for the gut but brain functioning as well.
- And finally ‘ you are as you think’….
These are mere basic rules for general health but when one of the most important organs in the body, although it only weighs a few kg’s, contains more connections than the Milky Way , this is food for thought literally and figuratively!! Go and read more on these and more issues by Dr Perlmutter:
David Perlmutter, M.D. – Preserve and Protect the Brain: Discover the dietary and lifestyle patterns that reduce the risk of illness. New York Times best-selling author of Grain Brain, Dr. Perlmutter takes us through the current understanding of health and wellness, and debunks the myth of the benefits of a low-fat diet. Learn how you can empower yourself to live a long, healthy, disease-free life starting today!